Breakfast just isn’t the same without grains! When we first began to change our diet and incorporate foods that were nourishing and rid our kitchen of foods that steal the nutrition straight from our bones, grains were high on the list of foods to avoid.
Lucky for us, I discovered Sally Fallon’s Nourishing Traditions and we have been able to enjoy our grains, properly prepared, of course, and in moderation. As I wrote about in another post, we love our soaked pancakes, but even easier to make than those is soaked oatmeal.
Here is my recipe for nourishing, comforting soaked oatmeal.
What You’ll Need:
1 cup of old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup of warm filtered water
4 tbsp of whey, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, plain yogurt or buttermilk
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla, maple syrup, molasses, sucanat
or other natural sweetener to taste
additional water or cream to create desired consistency
1. Stir together oats, warm water, whey, and salt.
2. Cover the bowl and let the mixture sit for 12-24 hours.
3. Pour mixture into a pot and cook, adding more liquid as needed for desired consistency.
4. Stir in butter until melted.
5. Add in sweetener.
6. Add in fruit and/or spices.
7. Serve warm with breakfast proteins such as eggs or bacon.