It's time for August's free online home schooling resources. This month I'm focusing on links that will help new home schooling parents gather information and prepare to home school. The first year we home schooled we made the decision just two weeks before school began. I rushed around to find all of the information I could on the legalities and requirements of home schooling. I hope this helps other parents who are preparing to begin home schooling in a short amount of time.
1. National Home Education Legal Defense--While membership is not free, the NHELD website offers many free resources for learning about the legalities of home schooling in the United States.
2. A to Z Home School--The page I linked here will take you directly to the "Regions" page where you can look up information about home schooling in your state. You'll be able to read the law about home schooling in your state and, if your state requires it, you'll find a list of cover schools.
3. Grade by Grade Course of Study--On About.com's home schooling channel you'll find a wonderful guide to a typical course of study for each grade level.
4. Are Your Home Schooled Children Learning?--This is one of my favorite articles about home schooling. It has given me reassurance and perspective time and again.
5. Home Schooling and Socialization--When you first begin home schooling you'll likely meet with well-meaning grandparents and other relatives and friends who are concerned about the socialization of your children. Here is an article that offers research on socialization and schooling.