Oh man. This cake is trouble, you guys. I want to make it all the time. I want to eat it all the time. I want you to try it so you can join me.
Before I post the recipe for this lovely chocolate dream, let’s talk sweeteners for a minute. Because I follow a traditional food diet at home I don’t like to use refined sugar when baking. However, I keep organic sugar on hand for making kombucha and I’ve found that the finished flourless chocolate cake has a better texture when made with granulated organic sugar than when it’s made with coconut sugar (my top choice of baking sweeteners).
I think running the coconut sugar through the food processer first might help, so I will try that next time and update this post with the results. In addition, using maple sugar produces results that are on par with organic sugar.
Here’s the recipe!
- 1 cup of cocoa powder
- 1.5 cups of sugar, coconut sugar or maple sugar
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 c butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Melt butter over low heat (it should be melted but not hot)
- Butter the bottom of a springform pan
- In a large bowl, mix together eggs, cocoa powder, sugar, butter, vanilla and salt until smooth.
- (Don't over mix or the cake will be rubbery.)
- Pour mixture into the springform pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes