But, I still miss brownies at home. Before we started our real food journey, I made brownies often. Sure, I’d use the boxed brownie mix, but I also loved baking from-scratch brownies.
It didn’t take me long to find an alternative to brownies that we could enjoy at home. I tried several different gluten-free flours and coconut flour seemed to work the best for brownies. (Since creating my coconut flour brownies recipe I’ve also tried this wonderful gluten-free flour from Bob’s Red Mill and love the brownies it makes. I’ll share the recipe soon.)
My recipe, made with coconut flour and coconut sugar is the answer to my family’s brownie cravings. It’s dense, delicious and cake-y. (I believe that if you topped with it frosting, it could actually double as chocolate cake! Check out this great recipe for real food, chocolate frosting.)
Coconut Flour Brownies
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup milk coconut milk, raw cow's milk, goat's milk, almond milk, etc
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the coconut oil and cocoa powder in a small pan and melt.
- Combine the eggs, coconut sugar, milk and salt in a large bowl.
- Add chocolate mixture to egg mixture in the bowl.
- Add coconut flour and mix well.
- Grease an 8X8 baking dish and pour batter into the dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes.