56 Free Language Arts Resources for Homeschoolers
Language arts is one of my favorite subjects to teach my children. Maybe because I’m a writer? Over the years, I’ve found many great free language arts resources for homeschoolers. We’ve enriched our language arts learning with what we’ve found on the web. Often our language arts curriculum for a cycle is made entirely of free, web-based resources.
Whether you’re looking for language arts worksheets, language arts games or websites that help teach your children (and you!) the ins and outs of grammar, punctuation, and writing, you’ll be sure to find the resources you need in my list of 56 free language arts resources for homeschoolers.
Be sure to check out my list of 56 free homeschool math resources, 56 free homeschool science resources, 56 free homeschool reading resources, 56 free homeschool social studies resources, and 56 free homeschool language arts resources.
A Few of Our Favorite Free Language Arts Websites
1. Education.com – The link will point you directly to building sentences worksheets. Education.com offers free resources for other subjects, as well, so this is a site that you’ll see again in my free homeschooling resources posts. You will need to sign up with Education.com in order to download the free worksheets.
2. School Express – School Express has lots of free worksheets, again on various subjects. The worksheet are colorful and appealing to children. I’ve printed many worksheets from this site to supplement language arts lessons.
3. Grammar Girl – Still confused about whom vs who? If you want to check your grammar facts before teaching them to your children, Grammar Girl is your best friend. Housed on the Quick and Dirty Tips website, Grammar Girl offers articles and a podcast to enrich your grammar knowledge.
4. Mr. Nussbaum – This website is fun, fun, fun! If your kiddos learn well by playing (like most kiddos do!) you need to check out Mr. Nussbaum. The language arts games here teach spelling, typing, grammar and more. This is one of the best play-and-learn websites around.
5. Fun Brain – I know you’ve probably already heard of Fun Brain. It’s one of the most popular of the free education sites, but it deserves a mention on my first go-around of free homeschooling resources. Fun Brain offers a lot of language arts (and other subjects) games. If you’ve never used it or it’s been a while, go give it a look-see!
More Free Language Arts Websites
9. Educators Reference Desk (Language Arts Lesson Plans)
11. English Basics
12. KISS Grammar (Free Language Arts Curriculum)
13. Spelling City
15. Story It
Free Language Arts Worksheets
17. K12 Reader
18. Education World
20. School Express
21. TLS Books
22. Student Handouts
23. Ed Helper
24. Help Teaching
25. Turtle Diary
27. Kid Zone
28. School on Wheels
Free Language Arts Games
31. Sheppard Software (Language Arts Games)
33. Game Aquarium
34. Game Classroom
35. Primary Games
37. PBS Kids
38. Toon University
41. Room Recess
Free Language Arts Videos
43. Watch Know Learn
44. Teaching Channel
51. All About Nouns
56. Speech Marks