56 FREE Homeschool Social Studies Resources
I’ll admit, I didn’t really enjoy social studies in school. While I remember a bit about geography, history is a blur. Sure, I memorized what I needed for tests and made good grades, but honestly, I just wasn’t interested.
So, when I began homeschooling my kids I wanted to make sure they’d learn what they needed to despite my lack of interest in social studies subjects.
When my oldest son’s favorite subject turned out to be history, I knew I’d done something right.
The best part about teaching subjects like history, geography, politics, and cultures is that there are so many free social studies resources online. I’ve had a blast learning (or rather, re-learning) about these subjects over the years right alongside my kids. I’ve become very fond of social studies, especially history and politics, over the years because of my re-education. I’m thrilled my boys have come to love those subjects, as well.
Check out my list of 56 free homeschool social studies resources and make learning social studies an awesome experience for your family.
1. Crash Course on YouTube – World History, World History 2, US History, US Government and Politics, and Economics – These Crash Course videos are thorough, but short enough that my boys don’t lose focus during the video. One of my favorite ways to learn alongside my boys is to watch the Crash Course videos and spend time afterward discussing the information and researching it further. FYI, the Crash Course series are better for older kids than elementary aged children.
2. Liberty’s Kids Videos – If you want to supplement your history teaching with something fun and visual, check out the Liberty’s Kids videos on YouTube. They are an excellent history resource for younger children.
3. The History Cat – Featuring an online textbook layout, The History Cat currently has US History and World History available. They also provide lesson plans. The History Cat is excellent for reading with your children or for them to explore alone.
4. All-in-One-Homeschool–This is a complete 180 Geography and Cultures curriculum. And these aren’t the only subjects All-in-One-Homeschool offers! All-in-One-Homeschool is a valuable resource you should check out for all of your curricula needs!
5. Thought.Co Free History Worksheets – Do you remember About.com? It was a great resource for homeschoolers. About.com is now Thought.co. Fortunately, they maintained one of my favorite pages. These history worksheets are a great find for any homeschool parent! Check them out!
Free History Websites for Homeschoolers
Free Geography Websites for Homeschoolers
Free History Worksheets for Homeschoolers
13. Student Handouts Free American History Worksheets, Outlines, Power Points, etc
14. History for Kids
Free Geography Worksheets for Homeschoolers
22. 3-D Geography
Free Economics Resources for Homeschoolers
34. Biz Kids
Free US Government Resources for Homeschoolers
Free History Videos for Homeschoolers
Free Geography Videos for Homeschoolers
Free History Games for Homeschoolers
50. History Mystery