Remember the days before you knew about real food when you could, completely without guilt, dump a bag of frozen chicken nuggets on a baking sheet and call it dinner?
Yeah. Me, too. Sometimes knowing too much is so inconvenient. (But it’s worth it!)
You may have tried my first grain free chicken nuggets recipes (find it here). It’s a good one, but sometimes I don’t have time to watch the frying pan while the nuggets fry. When I bake in the oven, they don’t get as crispy with the coconut flour.
So, I decided to come up with a different grain free chicken nuggets recipe that doesn’t use coconut flour as the coating. This time I used arrowroot powder and dipped the chicken in eggs before coating it.
I’m happy to report that they turned out very well when baked in the oven. Of course, you can fry these, as well, but they were crispy from the oven.
My boys loved them and I will use this recipe as our go to grain free chicken nuggets recipe from now on!
Here’s the recipe!
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cut the chicken thighs into nugget sized pieces.
3. Put the arrowroot powder, onion powder, garlic powder and salt in a gallon sized plastic bag.
4. Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl and whisk slightly.
5. Put the chicken pieces into the eggs and coat.
6. Place the chicken into the arrowroot powder mixture in the plastic bag in three batches.
7. Seal the gallon bag and shake the chicken until it is coated.
8. Put the coated chicken pieces in a strainer and shake the excess arrowroot powder onto a large plate.
9. Return the excess arrowroot powder to the bag and repeat steps for each batch.
10. Place nuggets on a large baking sheet.
11. Bake for 25 minutes.