Do your children enjoy chicken nuggets as much as mine do? One of the first things we stopped buying when we switched to a real food diet was frozen processed dinner foods. I knew I’d need to make homemade chicken nuggets to make sure my family was getting the best. I also wanted to cut our grain consumption, so I started experimenting with making homemade gluten-free chicken nuggets.
Easy Homemade Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets Recipe
It seems easy enough to bread and fry or bake bite-sized chicken pieces, right. Really, it is. Unless you’re sensitive to gluten. Finding a good gluten-free chicken nugget recipe is a bit trickier.
After a trying a few recipes that didn’t quite give us the flavor and texture we were looking for, I finally created my gluten free chicken nugget recipe. These coconut flour breaded chicken nuggets fry up golden brown with a nice crispy texture. They are exactly what we’re looking for in a gluten free chicken nugget!
You can bake these nuggets instead of frying them. (See the recipe notes for baking instructions.) When I don’t have time to babysit the frying pan, I pop them in the oven. They aren’t quite as crispy, but they still bake to a golden brown and taste great.
(Hate the taste of coconut flour? Try my other gluten free chicken nuggets that don’t use any flour at all.)
Here’s the recipe! (Scroll to the bottom for a printable version)
2 lbs of boneless chicken
1/2-3/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. (I make mine about 2 inches long and an inch thick.)
- Mix together the coconut flour, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and salt.
- Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan.
- Coat the chicken pieces with the coconut flour mixture and place them in the frying pan. ( Usually fill a gallon-sized plastic zipper bag with the flour mixture, add the chicken pieces and shake. Clean up is easier and my fingers don’t get coated with flour this way.)
- Fry* until golden brown and until the center of the nuggets reaches at least 160 degrees F.
- Remove from pan and enjoy!
*I’ve also baked these in a 400-degree oven for 25 minutes. If you don’t have time to watch a frying pan or are out of coconut oil, these bake well.