Peppermint Essential Oils
Peppermint essential oil is one of my favorite oils. I love the crisp scent and the way that it lifts my spirits. I love Christmas and Winter, so the cool, refreshing scent is an instant happiness boost for me.
Peppermint essential oil is made from the leaves and stems of the peppermint plant, which is a hybrid of the spearmint and watermint plants.
As one of the most popular essential oils, peppermint packs a powerful punch in more ways than just its scent. Read on for more information about this delightful essential oil’s benefits and uses.
Benefits of Peppermint Essential Oil
1. Peppermint essential oil helps to support the digestive system.
2. Peppermint essential oil supports good oral hygiene.
3. Peppermint essential oil helps to keep toenails and fingernails clean, especially after they have been expose to damp conditions.
4. Peppermint essential oil helps to alleviate head tension.
5. Peppermint essential oil helps to alleviate nausea.
6. Peppermint essential oil helps to support a healthy circulatory system.
7. Peppermint essential oil helps to increase focus and alertness.
8. Peppermint essential oil creates a cooling sensation when applied (properly diluted!) topically.
9. Peppermint essential oil can lighten the fragrance of heavier floral or woodsy essential oils when diffused together. It is also a great diffuser companion for citrus essential oils.
10. Peppermint essential oil is a great oil to use in homemade personal care products to brighten the scent.
Peppermint Essential Oil Uses
I use peppermint essential oil in many different ways. Here are my top ten favorite uses for peppermint essential oil.
1. For head tension. Diffusing peppermint oil and rubbing a bit (mixed with a carrier oil) on my forehead and temples helps to alleviate my head tension.
2. For supporting proper digestion.
3. To clear the air in a room. Diffusing peppermint oil helps to clean the air with a bright, lovely scent. I especially like peppermint diffused with a citrus oil such as grapefruit.
4. To aid concentration. When I have a mental task to perform that requires focus, I like to rub peppermint essential oil (mixed with a carrier oil) on my wrists and temples. I often diffuse peppermint oil while writing, as well.
5. To deter pests. I place cotton balls with a couple of drops of peppermint oil around the house to deter mice and other pests.
6. In my homemade toothpaste and mouthwash. I don’t usually recommend ingesting essential oils, but I use this heavily dilute toothpaste daily and the mouthwash about once per week. I don’t swallow either mixture.
7. As a fabric spray. I mix water, salt and peppermint essential oil in a spray bottle and spray on curtains, carpet and couches to freshen the smell.
8. To alleviate nausea.
9. To reduce itching. I use peppermint oil diluted with a carrier oil to help stop the itching of insect bites.
10. To lift the mood and support the nervous system.
Learn more about how to buy quality essential oils.