Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
When I was a child, my mom was known for her amazing shredded, BBQ venison, so I’m proud to say that this simple, slow cooker BBQ chicken recipe was inspired by her delicious creation. Just like my mom, I use the slow-cooker to make a dry, boring cut of meat (in this case, chicken breasts) into a tender, flavorful dish.
This slow cooker BBQ chicken recipe is a frequent one in my quick, week night recipe repertoire. After a long day away from home and an evening filled with errands and extracurriculars, we love coming home to the aroma of delicious BBQ chicken waiting for us in the slow cooker.
Not only is my slow cooker BBQ chicken great for a quick family meal, but it is also wonderful for potlucks or cookouts. Because it’s so simple to make and can be transported easily if you have the right slow cooker, it’s a perfect main dish for parties and family get-togethers.
Placed on your favorite bread (we like sprouted sourdough) with a generous helping of mayonnaise or eaten without any bread at all, this slow-cooker, shredded BBQ chicken is a tasty meal. It’s also great with no bread at all. That’s how my husband eats it most of the time.
Slow-Cooker BBQ Chicken
- 3 chicken breasts about 1.5-2 lbs
- 2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce here's mine (Bottled BBQ sauce is about 18 oz and that's just fine for this recipe.)
- 4-8 tbsp of butter this really depend on your preference. We like a lot of fat in our meals.
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker.
- Pour BBQ sauce over chicken breasts and top with butter.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Shred chicken with fork and mix thoroughly to coat with BBQ sauce.