I’m excited to share my recipe for soaked oatmeal with you today! Oatmeal is a comforting breakfast food that’s made delicious with the addition of flavorful ingredients like maple syrup, berries, nuts and more.
Oatmeal is such a versatile food. My boys like their oatmeal with maple syrup and cinnamon for a warm, autumn-like feeling all year around. I like berries-and-cream oatmeal for a refreshing, summer-like reminder even in the heart of winter.
We’ve made homemade pumpkin spice oatmeal, cranberry and pecan oatmeal, vanilla cream oatmeal, and savory versions with additions like pumpkin seeds or cheddar topped with an over-easy egg.
Of course, the sweeter flavors remain our favorites!
Soaked Oatmeal Makes a Lovely Breakfast
No matter how you like your oatmeal flavored, it’s best to skip the convenient store-bought packets and make it yourself for maximum nutrition. When I read Sally Fallon’s Nourishing Traditions I discovered that grains are most easily digested when they’ve been soaked, sprouted or soured (fermented) before consuming.
The benefit of soaked oatmeal is a reduction in phytic acid found in grains. Less phytic acid means the oatmeal is more easily digested and your body is better able to extract and use the nutrients in the oatmeal and other ingredients.
Soaking oatmeal in an acidic liquid gives it a well-rounded flavor when combined with salt and a natural sweetener the next morning. The flavor of soaked oatmeal is delicious and satisfying.
Easy Soaked Oatmeal Recipe
1 cup of steel cut oats
1 cup of warm filtered water
4 tbsp of an acidic liquid such as whey, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, plain yogurt or buttermilk
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla, maple syrup, molasses, sucanat
or other natural sweetener to taste
additional water or cream to create desired consistency
1. Stir together oats, warm water, acidic liquid, and salt.
2. Cover the bowl and let the mixture sit for 12-24 hours.
3. Pour mixture into a pot and cook for 20-30 minutes, adding more liquid as needed for desired consistency.
4. Stir in butter until melted.
5. Add in sweetener.
6. Add in fruit and/or spices.
7. Serve warm with breakfast proteins such as eggs or bacon.
Print This Recipe
Easy Soaked Oatmeal Recipe
- 1 cup of steel cut oats
- 1 cup of warm filtered water
- 4 tbsp of whey lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, plain yogurt or buttermilk
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla maple syrup , molasses , sucanat
- or other natural sweetener to taste
- additional water or cream to create desired consistency
- fruit such as blueberries strawberries, peaches or raisins
- spices such as cinnamon nutmeg , pumpkin pie spice or ginger
- Stir together oats, warm water, whey, and salt.
- Cover the bowl and let the mixture sit for 12-24 hours.
- Pour mixture into a pot and cook for 20-30 minutes, adding more liquid as needed for desired consistency.
- Stir in butter until melted.
- Add in sweetener.
- Add in fruit and/or spices.
- Serve warm with breakfast proteins such as eggs or bacon.