Raise your hand if you’ve tried every zucchini recipe on Pinterest. Yep. Me, too. Zucchini is a versatile veggie, for sure. However, I’ve mostly had zucchini sliced or shredded and, most often, as an addition to a more prominent ingredient in a recipe.
Other than sauteed summer squash, I don’t think I’ve made a dish where zucchini is the star. Well, until now, that is.
This super easy stuffed zucchini recipe was fun to make (the kiddos can help) and quite delicious. The ingredients are few (zucchini, mild ground sausage, carrots, Parmesan, and salt.) but the flavor is robust.
If you’re looking for an easy weeknight meal or a new way to prepare zucchini, this recipe fits the bill!
Here’s the recipe!
8 zucchini squash
2 lbs. of ground mild Italian sausage
2 whole carrots
Parmesan cheese (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cook the ground sausage in a pot over medium heat until browned and cooked through.
3. Shred the carrots and combine with the sausage.
4. Salt if needed.
5. Slice the zucchini in half, lengthwise (from top to bottom)
6. With a metal spoon, scoop out the insides of the zucchini, leaving enough flesh to keep the zucchini from collapsing (About a 1/2 inch)
7. Place the zucchini, sliced side up, in a 13X9 baking dish (I needed two to bake them all at once.)
8. Fill each zucchini half with sausage/carrot mixture.
9. Bake for 30 minutes, or until zucchini is soft enough to eat.
10. Top with shredded Parmesan and serve.