Tomato and Avocado Salad – A Simple Summer Recipe
Sometimes I get a little overzealous in the summer when produce is at its peak. Sometimes, when the beautiful colors of nature are at their most enticing, I purchase a few too many of one vegetable or the other. Add that to any garden bounty I might have on hand and suddenly I’ve got more of nature’s candy in my kitchen than my family can possibly eat.
This time it was tomatoes and avocados. The health food store was having a sale and I couldn’t resist.
Of course, I was careful to choose the avocados that were the least ripe, but buying several rock-hard avocados in one day means ending up with several overly ripe avocados just a few days later.
Oh, and the tomatoes. When I find organic, heirloom tomatoes at a price I can’t pass up . . . well, I don’t pass them up!
The race was on to eat, eat, eat all the avocados and tomatoes so not a single one was wasted. We succeeded.
I began my delicious tomato-avocado salad run with my own recipe – a tomato, avocado, and goat cheese concoction that I eat at least once a week for lunch during the summer months. Because I didn’t want to ruin my taste for this simple, delicious recipe I headed to Pinterest to gather recipes for several different tomato avocado salads. Be sure to check those out below once you’ve seen my recipe.
My Delicious Tomato, Avocado, and Goat Cheese Salad Recipe
I first came up with this recipe when I was craving a salad with avocados and didn’t have any green-leafies on hand. The combination was so yummy that it became one of my favorite ways to get a hefty dose of healthy fats and a serving of vegetables all in one bowl.
Over the years I’ve made the salad with lettuce – usually a baby spring mix – and without lettuce. It’s delicious either way.
The taste is sweet, salty, and tangy. Each flavor compliments the others so perfectly.
Here’s the recipe! Scroll down for the printable version.
15 grape tomatoes (or 10 cherry tomatoes or 1 medium heirloom tomato of your choice)
1 whole avocado, sliced
Goat Cheese (crumble as much as you want onto your salad)
1. Cut the tomatoes into halves. (You can use any size tomato. Just cut it into bite sized pieces)
2. Cut the avocado in half, lengthwise and remove the seed. Make 3-4 slices into each half, lengthwise. For bite-sized piece cut the slices in half.
3. Combine tomatoes and avocado in a bowl.
4. Crumble the goat cheese on top of the tomato and avocado.
5. Pour about a tablespoon of olive oil over the salad.
6. Drizzle about a teaspoon of honey over the salad.
7. Sprinkle with salt, to taste.
Tomato, Avocado and Goat Cheese Salad
- 10 grape tomatoes
- 1 whole avocado
- Goat Cheese as much as you want!
- Olive Oil
- Real Salt
- Cut the tomatoes into halves. (You can use any size tomato. Just cut it into bite sized pieces)
- Cut the avocado in half, lengthwise and remove the seed. Make 3-4 slices into each half, lengthwise. For bite-sized piece cut the slices in half.
- Combine tomatoes and avocado in a bowl.
- Crumble the goat cheese on top of the tomato and avocado.
- Pour about a tablespoon of olive oil over the salad.
- Drizzle about a teaspoon of honey over the salad.
- Sprinkle with salt, to taste.
Ten Beautiful and Delicious Tomato and Avocado Salads
Here are some of the delicious ways I used my abundance of tomatoes and avocados in summer salads. Enjoy!
Before you go!
This is how I get a real food dinner on the table on even the busiest evenings. It’s all about planning, baby. Check it out!