How to Homeschool Your Second Grader for Free
When I was a new homeschooling mom, I spent way too much money on two complete homeschool curricula for my sons, who were then in 2nd grade and Kindergarten. It was not a good use of my money. You can read about my experience in my article about How to Homeschool Your Kindergartener for Free.
As I looked for alternatives to the curriculum that didn’t work for us, I was happy to discover that quality homeschooling was possible outside of an expensive boxed curriculum. Not only could homeschooling be done inexpensively, but homeschooling for free was completely feasible.
As my children have grown, so have the free homeschooling resource available online. No matter how often I look for free homeschooling goodies there are always more to be found. In this post I will go over what a first grader should learn during the first grade year and list lots of free resources for each subject.
Before we get to the free second grade homeschool resources be sure to pin this information for easy access later.
Pin This Information for Later
What Your Second Grader Should Know
The first step to homeschooling your second grader for free is knowing what your child needs to learn in this stage of his or her education. Below are the basic concepts usually taught in U.S public schools. I won’t include grade-level standards for history, science, health education, religious studies, foreign language or fine arts.
In my own home, I am apt to teach these subjects in a more child-led, unschooling manner. I often include all three children together when doing lessons in social studies, science, arts, etc, regardless of grade level. My focus is making sure that my children are on target in the big three — reading, writing and arithmetic.
Second Grade Reading and Reading Comprehension Skills
- Understand basic syllabication
- Know the Dolch sight words for 2nd grade
- Understand common abbreviations
- Describe the plot, characters and setting of stories
- Follow written instructions with two-steps
- Learn rhyme, rhythm, alliteration, simile and metaphor
Second Grade Writing Skills
- Improve manuscript legibility
- Begin learning to write short stories, poems, journals, short non-fiction reports and letters
- Identify subject and predicate; complete and incomplete sentences
- Identify nouns, verbs, adjectives and comparative adjectives
- Identify synonyms, antonyms, and homonyms
- Use correct verb tense and noun pluralization
- Understand correct capitalization and most punctuation
Second Grade Math Skills
- Recognize and write numbers to 1000
- Understand greater than and less than with numbers to 1000
- Know place value for 1s, 10s, 100s and 1000s
- Round numbers to the nearest 10
- Understand even and odd numbers
- Know ordinal positions 1st-20th
- Recognize and write fractions from 1/10-1/2
How to Homeschool Your First Grader for Free
Fortunately for us homeschoolers, we live in the digital age. This means greater access to educational tools, both free and paid. Below I will list the free homeschooling resources for each of the three knowledge categories I listed above. (This is the part you’ve been waiting for!)
Free Second Grade Homeschool Curriculum
Free Second Grade Reading Resources
- K12Reader.com (Story Elements)
- 2nd Grade Worksheets
- Super Teacher Worksheets (Syllabication)
- Dolch Sight Words (I suggest making homemade flash cards with these.)
- PDF Printable of Dolch Sight Words
- Knowledge Adventure
- Jump Start
- Super Teacher Worksheets (Reading Comprehension)
- Super Teacher Worksheets (Anonyms and Synonyms)
- Home Speech Home (2-Step Directions)
- Big Learners.com
Free Second Grade Writing Resources
- Handwriting Worksheets.com
- Writing Prompts.com
- Friendly Letter Writing
- Super Teacher Worksheets (Parts of Speech)
Free Second Grade Math Resources
Free Second Grade Homeschool Resources – Other Subjects
As you probably noticed while clicking around the websites I listed, many of the websites have a variety of subjects to offer. Although I only focused on the specific subject listed, you should certainly take advantage of the science, social studies, art and other subjects to homeschool your kindergartener for free. (It is my plan to eventually update these listings with other subjects.)
Other Free Homeschooling Resources
If you’re like me and enjoy the organization aspect of teaching your children, you’ll like this list of free homeschool planning printables I grouped here.
My homeschooling board on Pinterest is full of great homeschooling ideas, many of which are frugal or free! Go check it out and don’t forget to follow!
Follow Our Small Hours ‘s board Homeschooling on Pinterest.
Check out my lists of free homeschool resources for individual subjects. These lists aren’t grade-level specific, but are helpful nonetheless.
If you find that you have a little cash to spend on homeschooling your 2nd grader, I highly recommend these resources that can be bought on Amazon for less than in bookstores. (Especially if you sign up for Prime!)
Homeschooling your second grader doesn’t have to break the bank. It’s so easy to homeschool your second grader for free. The internet puts so many free resources right at your fingertips. Combined with your public library and a local homeschooling co-op, you’ve got everything you need to be a frugal homeschooler while giving your children a quality education.